The last two years have been a tremendous experience, having had the honour and privilege of serving you, and all Calgarians, as The City Councillor for Ward 5. This 2019 Ward 5 Update is meant to serve as a year in review for the second year of my term to let you know how things are going at The City and within our communities. This past year has provided many great successes. I would like to thank you for the emails, letters, phone calls, conversations and ideas that you have shared with my office. Your contributions continue to keep our communities thriving.
A few of the items I have championed and worked with you and City Administration to move forward include:
- Advocating for changes to the Mortgage Stress Test to make housing more affordable and attainable for Calgarians and get people back to work.
- Pushing for a more transparent and equitable budgeting process for The City’s four-year business plan and budget.
- Ensuring that our communities have adequate park space to serve the needs of our residents.
- Having much needed bus routes planned and extended to meet the needs of our residents.
- Continuing to push for the installation of the approved and needed outdoor artificial turf field at the Genesis Centre.
- Chairing the Foothills Athletic Park Redevelopment Assessment Committee to help direct the development of a much-needed multi-sport fieldhouse in our city.
- Increasing community safety by having new traffic lights, crosswalks and traffic-calming measures installed.
- Reviewing pension plans at The City to ensure sustainability, affordability and fairness.
- Advocating for clean communities by hosting my second annual Ward 5 Community Clean Up with over 600 volunteers participating.
- Advocating for the continuation of the Low Income Transit Pass and for making transit free for those aged 70+ and under 18.
- Continuing to work with City Administration to develop a new approach to engagement and communications in ethnically diverse areas of the city.
- Hosting a highly successful Public Safety & Community Violence Townhall with over 200 attendees.
- Called for transparency about the finances behind the deal for a new Event Centre (Arena).
- Opened the new northeast Calgary Skatepark at the Genesis Centre.
- Launched the Ward 5 Sports Council to bring together northeast Calgary’s diverse sport groups.
- Spoke out against Quebec’s controversial Bill 21 with a formal Resolution approved by Council.
- Took a stand against increased gun violence in Calgary’s northeast by demanding a multi-faceted approach.
- Advocated for the planned Future Ward 5 Recreational Facility and Library to be included as a priority in funding decisions.
- Continued Chai with Chahal where residents and business owners connected with me about things that matter to them.
- Worked with community leaders to undertake community cleanups throughout the ward and in our parks.
At the mid-point of representing you as Councillor, I encourage you to get involved in some of the many wonderful initiatives going on around Ward 5. It is through our community member’s support and enthusiastic participation that we make great strides and accomplishments for all of us. Your Voice Matters!
Please stay in touch and reach out to our office at firstname.lastname@example.org or here on my website.
Thank you for an enjoyable year and I wish you and your family a Happy New Year!