Over the last year I have had the honour and privilege of serving you, and all Calgarians, as the City Councillor for Ward 5. This 2017-18 Ward 5 Update is meant to serve as a year in review to let you know how things are going at The City and within our many communities.
The first year in this role for me has gone by so quickly, with many great successes, and I would like to thank you for your emails, letters, phone calls, conversations, and ideas that you have shared with our Ward 5 office since the election in 2017. Your contributions continue to keep our communities thriving.
A few of the items I have championed and worked with you and City Administration to move forward include:
- Changes to the taxi industry bylaws to create fairness in the industry for all;
- Questioning the property tax rebates Council has been allowing through current processes;
- Pushing for a more transparent and equitable budgeting process for The City’s 4-year business plan and budget;
- A new approach to engagement and communications in ethnically diverse areas of the city;
- The twinning of Metis Trail N.E. to improve north-south travel within the ward;
- Securing funding for the completion of Airport Trail by working with the federal and provincial governments and Calgary International Airport;
- Increasing community safety by having new traffic lights and cross walks installed;
- Fighting to have the extension of the Blue Line LRT be a priority for City Hall;
- Having much needed bus routes planned and extended to meet the needs of our residents;
- Park improvements including new benches for use by citizens;
- Pushing to make the planned Future Ward 5 Recreational Facility and Athletic Park a priority in upcoming funding decisions;
- Securing funding from City Council for the installation of the past-due outdoor artificial turf field at the Genesis Centre;
- Pushing to make the planned Future Ward 5 Recreational Facility a priority in recent funding decisions;
- Creating a Diversity Council to bring our diverse interests to the forefront of conversation and to connect local leaders;
- Starting a periodic pop-up office at the Genesis Centre called Chai with Chahal where residents and business owners can connect with me about things that matter to them;
- Worked with community leaders to undertake community cleanups throughout the ward and in our parks;
- Held my 1st Annual City Services Open House to bring City representatives to the people of Ward 5 to help them understand City services and offerings.
As I embark on Year 2 as your Councillor, I encourage you to get involved in some of the many wonderful initiatives going on around Ward 5. It is through our community members support and enthusiastic participation in services, programs and events that leads to great strides and accomplishments for all of us.
Thank you for an enjoyable year and I wish you and your family a Happy New Year!